DavidBellerive

O-Train Stage 2 - Construction Updates

Since financial close has been reached on both extensions, and that work has already started on the Trillium extension, thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to discuss work being done!

For most of the alignment where the Trillium extension will be, land has been cleared and areas / access points are getting fenced off to prevent unauthorized access. Obviously no work was active today, but as far as I could tell, everything between South Keys and Leitrimm has been cleared, as well as the Airport Link.

I guess it kind of counts, but the work on expanding the Belfast storage shed is complete. They have most of their trains stored in the extension now.

If you look closely in these photos you can also see what I believe are LRVs 35 and 36, nearing the completion of their assembly (note the missing roof panels).

IMG_20190428_173745.jpg

IMG_20190428_174011.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, occheetos said:

I guess it kind of counts, but the work on expanding the Belfast storage shed is complete. They have most of their trains stored in the extension now.

If you look closely in these photos you can also see what I believe are LRVs 35 and 36, nearing the completion of their assembly (note the missing roof panels).

I think it counts, even though the procurement was done “before” Stage 2 was finalized. I’m always surprised to see how open the building is, but probably all they need in term of protection.

Here’s a few shots I took earlier this week of the clearing done at South Keys. Looks like they cleared about 25-30m wide along the entire extension. Couldn’t catch a pitcure, but gates and fencing is being installed between the various road access.

96F10976-D698-4B3F-B59F-AB9B8E0A5CAB.jpeg

D60AD30D-2278-43BF-BCCF-BB2E1A968296.jpeg

45726E56-3C48-457B-8832-E2386C3C9A5D.jpeg

• Like 2

Is there a date for when the shovels will hit the ground for the East extension?

The five additional eastern stations have in common that they will all be in the middle of the highway.

This implies major road works from Blair to Trim Road. I am wondering if it will be a big disruption for rush hour traffic... and how many months it is going to be.

I just can't believe it will take until 2025 to see these stations open... that is six years away.

That is way far in the future for the retailers at Place d'Orléans. We see more and more "Smart Centres" open with retail stores that have huge parking lots in front of them.

You have to take your car almost every time you want to go to another store. That's gas and pollution. Meanwhile, Place d'Orléans is struggling.

Even though Place d'Orléans has its own Transitway station, it will be easier to get there with Light Rail Transit. I was thinking it would be cool to go Christmas shopping at Place d'Orléans, St-Laurent and Rideau on the same day, and without having to look for parking.

Just now, Phil said:

Is there a date for when the shovels will hit the ground for the East extension?

The five additional eastern stations have in common that they will all be in the middle of the highway.

This implies major road works from Blair to Trim Road. I am wondering if it will be a big disruption for rush hour traffic... and how many months it is going to be.

There is no hard date for construction beginning on the East West, but it should be in the end of Q2 / beginning of Q3. 

As for closures, the East extension will actually be the "least intrusive". It is expected that, for one weekend, it will be closed completely for bridge removal (like they did when replacing all the overpass along the 417) and another when the Montreal Road overpass will be replaced too, then would not result in lane closure during rush hour for the rest of the project. Lane closures will be, as much as possible, limited to the summer time and outside of rush hour.

As for the length of the project, East will open in 2024, West will open in 2025, which is arguably a more realistic timeline for construction given both the experience learned through Stage 1, but also the large change in scope of the project compared to the initial proposals. Those changes, along with the late signature of contracts means that the mobilization of workers and equipment is delayed too, delaying the final dates. In the grand scope of infrastructures, it is not "as far" as other projects (Quebec City plans to start construction on their tramway line next year, with completion in 2026, an HIGHLY optimistic timeline, the Line 5 Eglinton - Crosstown is expected to open in 2021, with its construction starting 2010-2011).

While I can agree it is far for retails, Smart Centres are both a symptom and result of urban expansion, but also the failure of many malls to adapt to the 21st century. LRT always encourages densification making those centres increasingly difficult and expensive to support. The design philosophy behind LRT is not to "absolutely" compete with the shopping centre, but more to be a viable alternative to driving to work and having capacity to support the needs of the population. Retail has overcome lot worse than the lack of LRT, and I don't think "a few years more" will be the end for many of those malls.

7 hours ago, DavidBellerive said:

There is no hard date for construction beginning on the East West, but it should be in the end of Q2 / beginning of Q3. 

As for closures, the East extension will actually be the "least intrusive". It is expected that, for one weekend, it will be closed completely for bridge removal (like they did when replacing all the overpass along the 417) and another when the Montreal Road overpass will be replaced too, then would not result in lane closure during rush hour for the rest of the project. Lane closures will be, as much as possible, limited to the summer time and outside of rush hour.

As for the length of the project, East will open in 2024, West will open in 2025, which is arguably a more realistic timeline for construction given both the experience learned through Stage 1, but also the large change in scope of the project compared to the initial proposals. Those changes, along with the late signature of contracts means that the mobilization of workers and equipment is delayed too, delaying the final dates. In the grand scope of infrastructures, it is not "as far" as other projects (Quebec City plans to start construction on their tramway line next year, with completion in 2026, an HIGHLY optimistic timeline, the Line 5 Eglinton - Crosstown is expected to open in 2021, with its construction starting 2010-2011).

While I can agree it is far for retails, Smart Centres are both a symptom and result of urban expansion, but also the failure of many malls to adapt to the 21st century. LRT always encourages densification making those centres increasingly difficult and expensive to support. The design philosophy behind LRT is not to "absolutely" compete with the shopping centre, but more to be a viable alternative to driving to work and having capacity to support the needs of the population. Retail has overcome lot worse than the lack of LRT, and I don't think "a few years more" will be the end for many of those malls.

Thanks for your detailed reply, David.

To David:

In terms of overpass replacement, is this what you are referring to? 

I remember seeing this video a few years ago. I had never seen anything like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKztkao2nWg