DavidBellerive

Stage 2 - Trillium Line - Construction Updates

We must also remember the Trillium Line is still a work in progress and will never be a true rapid transit solution until electrified and double tracked along the whole line.

I remember reading 7+plus years ago about a report of the north-south or east-west corridor debate and which would be more beneficial. In theory the north south line was never truly needed as the dedicated BRT line was never truly bottle necked until the downtown core.

The Trillium line was a super cheap pilot project that demoed the effectiveness of semi-regional rail, and will remain a pilot project until phase three or even four of the LRT expansion. At some point the full line will need to be double tracked and electrified and when that day comes adding additions onto stations on the spur line to the airport will not be an issue, integrating that spur into the trillium line and having multiple trains integrate back into the main line towards downtown with the occasional one heading south will not be an issue.

Hopefully over the next 15 or so years we will see the Trillium line beefed up to math the confederation line.

I apologize for the fact that I have not yet read all of this thread, so if my question has been covered I am sorry.

Why won't the Trillium line be electrified?  Or will it?  It says on the FLIRT page "when the Trillium Line is eventually electrified" but I haven't come across any other reference to electrification.  

7 hours ago, Tom Haythornthwaite said:

I apologize for the fact that I have not yet read all of this thread, so if my question has been covered I am sorry.

Why won't the Trillium line be electrified?  Or will it?  It says on the FLIRT page "when the Trillium Line is eventually electrified" but I haven't come across any other reference to electrification.  

Electrification as part of Stage 2 would have been too expensive, so they've deferred it to some "future" project.

The nice thing about the FLIRT is that when it eventually is electrified, the FLIRTs can be easily converted to be used under fully-electric operations.

I don't know if the question was brought up before, but are the FLIRT gonna be numbered in the same manner as the rest of the Trillium trains, making them C10 through C17, or will they follow the bus / Confederation Line pattern?

6 hours ago, DavidBellerive said:

I don't know if the question was brought up before, but are the FLIRT gonna be numbered in the same manner as the rest of the Trillium trains, making them C10 through C17, or will they follow the bus / Confederation Line pattern?

It's one of the questions I want to ask but haven't gotten around to asking yet.

• Like 1

For those interested...

O-Train Fans will continue to follow progress as before, although as the area is even more spread out than Stage 1 was, the update frequency may be lower. I am still trying to determine how I will proceed but hoping to have full Snapshot updates of all locations every 2-3 months. Once the Confederation Line is open and I have the initial informational content added and updated on the site, the Snapshots will resume. They will probably consist mostly of "Before Construction" photos, to show what the areas looked like before demolition and the build, and then moving forward from there.

On a sidenote, I was informed that a similar type of site to the ConfederationLine.ca (Phase 1 site) would be launched to show progress on Stage 2, but I have no idea how it will compare to the Stage 1 site or when it will release.

Not sure where to put it, as I don’t think it needs its own thread, what’s your opinion on the new livery for trillium?

For me at least, I’m gonna miss the Deutsch Bahn red, though it definitely fits more the general look OC Transpo is going for. I wish they had a more “contrasting” look between Confederation Line and Trilium as they are not the same kind of service / product.

The “wave” at the bottom is at least complete, so it doesnt look like a work in progress. Also, only trains with both the OC Transpo branding ant the O-Train? Confederation doesnt have it, though Trillium already does if I recall?

I really like the new look, but I am bias because I also like the LRT look so I think they mix well.

I'm pretty disappointed they didn't stick with the original concept. Keeping the Confederation Line and Trillium Line visually distinct (but "similar") would have been.. neat?

I don't get why they're sticking with the "swoosh" or "wave". That was present on almost all OC Transpo material (pamphlets, maps, signs) for a couple of decades but then the system has undergone a major rebranding over the last few years to feature the O more. I'd get it if it were just the Confederation Line trains since they were ordered before the rebranding took place, but then they slapped it (and the O) onto the new Novabuses which I still think is a mess, and now on the even newer trains? Why?

I liked the original concept because it kept the DB-based paint scheme and carried on the "heritage" of the Trillium Line but made it even more Canadian by adding the more prominent maple leaf at the front. The best of both worlds. I'm sure it would have been modified to feature the City of Ottawa logo instead of "OC" and maybe added the O-Train logo but still. This new version just looks bland... and like I said above, the swoosh is outdated now.

I feel like I remember seeing somewhere that white trains are easier to maintain which seems counter-intuitive, but what do I know. 

I noticed there is like overpass south of Gladstone avenue. Is it the beginning of the construction of Trillium line? I heard trillium line will shut down next year for the construction.

9 hours ago, Mohammed said:

I noticed there is like overpass south of Gladstone avenue. Is it the beginning of the construction of Trillium line? I heard trillium line will shut down next year for the construction.

Are you referring to an overpass that has recently been made? If not, you're most likely referring to the Queensway bridge, which crosses the Trillium line just south of Gladstone. If it's something new, then I'm not sure as I haven't ridden the Trillium line in a while, but I'm guessing it would most likely be construction-related since Gladstone is one of the new stations being built. 

Last night I noticed a derail was installed south of Greenboro station, which likely indicates that work will or is taking place on the rails themselves south of the station.

47F9B8A5-C79C-440A-998A-CC774B443A88.thumb.jpeg.b25754448cbb57da86e524531744e85e.jpeg

• Like 2

As always Shane was really quick to post the FEDCO presentation, and I am really happy with what we got to see for the Trillium line. 

New Station Designs

In a move to increase accessibility, many stations are being reconfigured to include elevator access in addition to the slopped ramp. Excellent choice as it makes it considerably more accessible for those with mobility issues, especially in the winter time. It is not clear to me if all stations requiring elevated access will be configured the same way, so I'll keep my eyes open.

As I said over on Twitter, it makes Stage 2 Trillium feel more LRT-like than commuter rail, which I see as a good thing if development is to be densified around the stations.

The part about "PA compliance" surprised me as, if I recall, the PA did not include requirement for elevators? Maybe an effort by SNC to get closer to the "passing technical grade"?

Construction Progress

Most of you probably saw the video, and it seems like good progress is being done already. Given that the line is expected to reopen in Q3 2022 (in time for the new semester at Carleton if I recall), it looks like work south of Greenboro is progressing well with most of the alignment cleared, and getting ready for rail install. It probably helps a lot that south of South Keys it is mostly a "greenfield project" but we are seeing significant progress since the start of work in Q2. I think we can expect most of the overpass crossings work to be done next summer, tracks installed by the end of 2020, completion of stations 2021 and testing /commissioning early 2022. I'll say it: early delivery by a few months maybe? 

Probably a unpopular opinion there, but I do believe SNC-Lavalin is doing a great job so far. It seems to me like people want them to fail, but I'd rather see them deliver on time / on budget like they did on many expansions worldwide then see a Canadian based company fail. There is a lot of reasons to say they don't have a good corporate track record, but I sincerely they can get it done efficiently and in a smart manner.

Vehicle MSF / Delivery

First of all: the Talents are still on the site at Walkley.

Second, piling and start to foundation work is actually great! I assume they cannot install trackage for as long as the mainline access is operational, so it probably will slow down until next summer, but again trending in the right direction. I was disappointed that we didn't get more vehicle related details today, but we'll see as designs come closer to final. I wish the city was more transparent on this personally as some crowd sourcing of ideas can help.

One More Thing...

The music in the "update video" is excellent. In fact, I really prefer that format of video than the ones with got alongside Stage 1. I hope it is part of TransitNext / City plans for update communications and its improvement vs Stage 1.

Edited by DavidBellerive