DavidBellerive

Stage 2 - Trillium Line - Construction Updates

We must also remember the Trillium Line is still a work in progress and will never be a true rapid transit solution until electrified and double tracked along the whole line.

I remember reading 7+plus years ago about a report of the north-south or east-west corridor debate and which would be more beneficial. In theory the north south line was never truly needed as the dedicated BRT line was never truly bottle necked until the downtown core.

The Trillium line was a super cheap pilot project that demoed the effectiveness of semi-regional rail, and will remain a pilot project until phase three or even four of the LRT expansion. At some point the full line will need to be double tracked and electrified and when that day comes adding additions onto stations on the spur line to the airport will not be an issue, integrating that spur into the trillium line and having multiple trains integrate back into the main line towards downtown with the occasional one heading south will not be an issue.

Hopefully over the next 15 or so years we will see the Trillium line beefed up to math the confederation line.

I apologize for the fact that I have not yet read all of this thread, so if my question has been covered I am sorry.

Why won't the Trillium line be electrified?  Or will it?  It says on the FLIRT page "when the Trillium Line is eventually electrified" but I haven't come across any other reference to electrification.  

7 hours ago, Tom Haythornthwaite said:

I apologize for the fact that I have not yet read all of this thread, so if my question has been covered I am sorry.

Why won't the Trillium line be electrified?  Or will it?  It says on the FLIRT page "when the Trillium Line is eventually electrified" but I haven't come across any other reference to electrification.  

Electrification as part of Stage 2 would have been too expensive, so they've deferred it to some "future" project.

The nice thing about the FLIRT is that when it eventually is electrified, the FLIRTs can be easily converted to be used under fully-electric operations.