Shane

Kitchener-Waterloo - ION lrt is now open

The long awaited day has finally arrived... in Kitchener-Waterloo that is. Their new ION lrt system welcomed its first passengers this morning.

The system makes use of the Bombardier Flexity Freedom vehicles and travels on tracks embedded in the roadways.

Lots of great photos circulating on the internet today. Here are a few from twitter:

17 hours ago, Shane said:

The long awaited day has finally arrived... in Kitchener-Waterloo that is. Their new ION lrt system welcomed its first passengers this morning.

The system makes use of the Bombardier Flexity Freedom vehicles and travels on tracks embedded in the roadways.

Lots of great photos circulating on the internet today. Here are a few from twitter:

Looks pretty slow to me ... Any information about it's operating speed ???

1 hour ago, Matth69000 said:

Vehicles top out at 88km/h, but speeds on the line are generally about 50km/h.

Average operating speed across the entire line is 25km/h (compared to the Confederation Line's 35km/h).

4 hours ago, Matth69000 said:

Also important to remember it is an "open" system, in the sense it shares the road with other vehicles. Dedicated lines and a certain section is off the road, but most of it is on the regular roadway compared to our dedicated right of way for Ottawa.

The line is 19km in Waterloo, which it travels in approximately 46 minutes. Ottawa will be 12.5km in Stage 1, with 24 minutes travel time.

With Stage 2, the speed will increase even further since the distance between station is further, but also due to the track geometry being a bit more favourable.

It does appear to run slow in some videos, but at the same time, it does look to go faster on average than the TTC Streetcar lines in Toronto, which do move at a decent speed as it is. I guess since the area is less congested and there is more space, and few tight turns.

A lot of Cabview videos coming online this weekend. For me this network is everything that shouldn't be done when it comes to LRT operations. Slow speed even on straight lines, no signal priorities at red-lights, road sharing with no grade seperation what so ever and an awful lot of crossing barriers even on sidewalks that are absolutely horrible to watch.
When I see this I'm so happy that we are gettin a Light-Metro fully grade seperated. Calling Ottawa's network an LRT is actually a big mistake 😅

I have watched some of the videos and it is painfully slow in spots. The schedule is 45 minutes end to end on 19km of track so it certainly isn't fast. I wouldn't want to use it to commute to work that is for sure but to just go a short distance on the line it might still be handy.