Shane

O-Train - Service Interruptions

On 2019-11-04 at 10:50 PM, Herlsone said:

And what if a train shows up that is full? Or half full? Or whatever...? I have ridden plenty of train systems that you had to wait until the next train...and brand new ones (Dubai) but never a train system with such small platforms.  When you have a chance to build from scratch, why not just over do it?  "Ok studies say we need 12 feet to make room for 600 people...". ... "Ok..let's do 30 feet."

The rationale for platform size is more complicated than that, especially with tunnel boring. You might be limited by utilities locations, geotechnical factors and also cost management. The solution to me would be some sort of "crowd control" at stations like Tunneys and Blair: control access to platform level, encouraging people to wait on the concourse level.

As for full trains, it just highlights the need for more capacity by adding the 15th trainset (maybe a 16th too?) to reduce the pressure on the fleet. Another suggestion would be to add a track siding where a train could be parked and start a run from the "middle" of the line, though placing such a spur would likely be difficult. West would need to be between Pimisi and Bayview, West between Cyrville and Blair? Of course not a practical short-term solution, but longterm could be worth implementing.

No matter how many trains are added, as long as the downtown core remains the only transit section that is dense enough to support upward of 8000-10000 pphpd, it will always be a choke point. A east-west BRT / LRT / Tram on Carling (as mentioned in the ultimate TMP) should be considered sooner than later. Offering options reduces pressure points.

Yesterday, there was a delay and a train removed from service. The official word by OC Transpo Twitter was "Fouled Train". Today at FEDCO, we learned that this was due to a passenger who urinated in the train and it had to be removed from service to be cleaned.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Matth69000 said:

It seems that their's is much less delays since a week or two. New software ?

From what I see and what people report, I would agree with you that its been running smoother overall. TCMS issues are trending down, doors issues are stable (with quicker resolution and isolation though, so less bad from a CX perspective), and switch issues trends down.

The key point is that issues are better managed when they occur, and seem to result a lot less in the line being crawled. Good on OC for adapting to the issues and, what seems to be, RTG / RTM getting the work done.

• Like 1

So this past week has been the week with the best overall service since the Confederation Line went in service, according to the presentation today at the Transit Commission meeting (including the 3 weeks of parallel bus service as well.)

So we're definitely on the right track. Breakdowns have been happening way less, and when they do happen the rail operators and technicians seem to be able to fix it quickly. Hopefully, they will be minimised even further once they figure out what exactly is causing the technical errors. 

One thing that I've noticed recently is, every delay that has been reported since December 1st (Not sure about the statistics for before this date) has been on the East part of the track. Looking at the list of delays in december so far, we have: 

Tuesday December 3 (17:00) - Mechanical error @St-Laurent
Thursday December 5 (9:00) - Switch Issue @Cyrville
Thursday December 5 (15:00) - Train Traffic @Blair
Tuesday, December 10 (6:00) - Door Fault @Blair
Tuesday, December 10 (9:00) - Delay
Friday, December 13 (11:00) - Technical Issues @Cyrville
Wednesday, December 18 (15:00) - Disabled Train @Cyrville

1 at St-Laurent, 2 at Blair, and 3 at Cyrville. Is it just a coincidence that all the trouble lately has been happening in the east part of the track or do you think there is a possible explanation for what could be causing it? 

5 hours ago, Dr. Human said:

So this past week has been the week with the best overall service since the Confederation Line went in service, according to the presentation today at the Transit Commission meeting (including the 3 weeks of parallel bus service as well.)

So we're definitely on the right track. Breakdowns have been happening way less, and when they do happen the rail operators and technicians seem to be able to fix it quickly. Hopefully, they will be minimised even further once they figure out what exactly is causing the technical errors. 

One thing that I've noticed recently is, every delay that has been reported since December 1st (Not sure about the statistics for before this date) has been on the East part of the track. Looking at the list of delays in december so far, we have: 

Tuesday December 3 (17:00) - Mechanical error @St-Laurent
Thursday December 5 (9:00) - Switch Issue @Cyrville
Thursday December 5 (15:00) - Train Traffic @Blair
Tuesday, December 10 (6:00) - Door Fault @Blair
Tuesday, December 10 (9:00) - Delay
Friday, December 13 (11:00) - Technical Issues @Cyrville
Wednesday, December 18 (15:00) - Disabled Train @Cyrville

1 at St-Laurent, 2 at Blair, and 3 at Cyrville. Is it just a coincidence that all the trouble lately has been happening in the east part of the track or do you think there is a possible explanation for what could be causing it? 

What's even weirder is that, this part of the Line was the first to be used during train testing (back in 2015) and is defacto the oldest part of the line. West sections should be theoretically more prone to have system errors ... Intriguing.

NEW YEARS EVE - December 31, 2019

https://www.otrainfans.ca/news/memo-lrt-service-update-for-new-year-s-eve

Please see the below update regarding LRT Service for New Year's Eve.

Mayor, Members of Council, Members of the Transit Commission,

This evening there were 2 separate occurrences where trains lost power and were unable to continue in operation. The first occurred at Cyrville Station at 17:02. End to end rail service continued to operate with customers experiencing longer commute times. The train at Cyrville Station was removed and returned back to the maintenance facility at 18:51. At 17:53 a second train lost power just west of UOttawa Station. The transit operations control center implemented alternate service plans immediately to keep customers moving and mitigate the delays associated with the 2 events. Train service operated on a loop from Tunney's to Parliament Stations and from Blair to Hurdman Stations where with R1 replacement bus service running between Parliament and Hurdman Stations. At 23:50 the train at uOttawa was removed back to yard and full service resumed at 23:53.

Philippe Landry, P.Eng.

Acting General Manager, Transportation Services Department

Source : City of Ottawa

---------------

Just my personal opinion and speculation on the disabled train last night at uOttawa Station. A lot of social media comments are focusing on the length of time it took to remove the train, keep in mind that this was a power issue. Unlike the doors and computer issues of late. 

With doors or computer issues, the turn around time has gotten quite quick as they isolate or reset and continue on. But if the train is experiencing a power issue (remember they run on 1500volts), moving a train would naturally be more difficult. 

According to the memo released, there were two power issues. One affecting a train earlier on at Cyrville and another at uOttawa sometime later. The Cyrville train was removed in 2 hours and the uOttawa in around 6. The memo doesn’t paint the complete picture. 

As such, we don’t know how both incidents differed and what caused the second to be more time consuming and no doubt more challenging to rectify. 

Anyways this is just my take on the situation. Bottom line, it would stand to reason that door and switch issues, which we are all more familiar with are a magnitude quicker to resolve than a power issue. 

I’m sure more info will come out in the days that follow.

Some additional details shared by CTV Ottawa in a statement from Troy Charter, Director of Transit Operations. 

C58AF4FF-C88F-4EA7-9353-04BDBE17CD31.thumb.jpeg.4078ee0efaf036876aaecc5484abb2ef.jpeg

D811AE1B-8680-42C2-A5B5-B46111A72061.thumb.jpeg.8f721f81231687f1b01d94e5a12e2077.jpeg

News today is that the outage was caused by "road dirt" that ended up in between the power connection, to put it loosely. So either on the catenary, the pantograph or both. Based on the location where the issue occurred just north of uOttawa Station, the track does start descending to enter the tunnel. With cars passing quickly along the side of the guideway on Nicholas, and the catenary being lower, it is possible some spray was left on the line. Although I do think there are still details missing as the train would have been moving with some speed and momentum (in addition to starting to go downhill on a grade), and so it should have cleared the "dirty" portion and regained contact and power once it was passed.

UPDATE: CBC Ottawa is reporting that the pantograph on the uOttawa train was “dirty” as being the cause of the issue. 

On December 29/19, around  2pm, I tweeted with an individual who was on the eastbound train at Hurdman that had one of, if not the first of, the recent "power failures." It was freezing rain at the time. I include the tweet below. Not sure if I should identify the individual here but it is the case that salt is a better electrical conductor than dirt per se.

"Finally have my own LRT story: just now on my ride, there was a loud pop on the train and a flash outside the window. I felt the whole thing lurch and everyone waiting at Hurdman backed away. Seemed like something blew, likely a cable. Exciting! #ottnews #ottLRT"

Ken Woods has posted the following information on twitter:

Ken Woods @drivesincircles

They've been pulling trains in and chemically scrubbing panels. Every train is getting an hours-long scrub. Two years of salt, rubbings from the pantograph and overhead wire, and slushy water saw a train with power issues on NYE. Watching this one closely, myself.

Passengers may see a few more trains going out of service at Blair over the next few days. We have been hot swapping the trains onto the line to bring trains in for their scrub. All trains will be done this weekend.

The City of Ottawa just released this memo in regards to the stopped train at St-Laurent station this morning.

Update: Stopped train on O-Train Line 1 at St-Laurent Station - UPDATE 1

Sent on behalf of John Manconi, General Manager, Transportation Services

We have a stopped train on O-Train Line 1 at St-Laurent Station. Trains are running between Tunney’s Pasture and Tremblay. R1 replacement buses are providing service between Hurdman and Blair Stations.

Passengers on stopped train at St. Laurent have exited the train. 

The overhead wire that supplies power to the train has broken.  The vehicle, the system and customer support procedures all function as designed and per safety protocols.  The current status is as follows:

Service

Service continues as per the update below.  Trains continue to run between Tunney’s Pasture and Tremblay Station. R1 bus replacement service is being provided between Hurdman and Blair.

Repairs

RTM is on site assessing repair work.  No ETA at this time as to when it will be completed. 

Information Customers

Customer updates are continuing. Station staff are assisting customers.

Media

Media will be sent this update and details will be shared as they come available.  Updates to follow.

John Manconi

- General Manager, Transportation Services Department

If I am not mistaken, this would be the first incident of this sort on the line since opening to the public. I am not sure of the specifics as I am fairly sure the catenary in St-Laurent station is a rigid rail, and not a wire. I am assuming that the break did not occur at the station itself then. More updates are promised, so I'm sure this will be clarified.

53 minutes ago, Shane said:

The overhead wire that supplies power to the train has broken.

I love the O-train, and I think the Mayor is doing a good job at running things, but seriously what's with the RTM and their amateur low-tier level design and terrible management??? Seriously, train system like those run all over Europe, at-grade with traffic, in winter condition more extreme than ours, and the reliability of their system is so far above ours, I'm speechless... I'm not sure if it's just Ottawa or something with North Americans in general, but this is just sad

1 hour ago, Shane said:

The City of Ottawa just released this memo in regards to the stopped train at St-Laurent station this morning.

If I am not mistaken, this would be the first incident of this sort on the line since opening to the public. I am not sure of the specifics as I am fairly sure the catenary in St-Laurent station is a rigid rail, and not a wire. I am assuming that the break did not occur at the station itself then. More updates are promised, so I'm sure this will be clarified.

Good Day.

This 29 second video from CTV News Ottawa shows a train ?in? the station, with what looks like a power wire draped over car #1118.  ! WOW !

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1877699

EnJoy!

New update has been released just now:

The stopped train at St. Laurent Station needs to be moved from its current location to allow crews to assess damage to the overhead wire power system.

Once the train is moved, assessment and repairs can begin.  The scope, scale and timing required to complete repairs is still not known at this time.  All efforts are being made to move as expeditiously as possible to restore service.

R1 replacement bus service continues to operate.

Additional updates will be provided as new information is received.

On our St-Laurent station page (https://www.otrainfans.ca/confederation-stations/st-laurent) it is clear in the photos that the catenary is a rigid catenary and not a suspended wire like it is elsewhere outdoors. Still unclear what the wire being shown in the picture is from.