Shane

Revenue Service Availability date for Confederation Line

A news story by Joanne Chianello on CBC News was posted: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/finishing-lrt-sunday-achievable-1.5199690

"There's still some time left before July 7," said Morgan late last week. "It's been going quite well. I think that at this point it appears that it's entirely achievable."

- Michael Morgan, City of Ottawa rail director

RTG was able to run nine coupled trains and five singles on the track on Thursday, according to Morgan — the largest number thus far to run at once. 

On 7/6/2019 at 1:43 PM, Shane said:

A news story by Joanne Chianello on CBC News was posted: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/finishing-lrt-sunday-achievable-1.5199690

I had noticed extensive testing of singles and doubles from my view of Pimisi station. They were even testing on Canada Day!

As many are surely aware, yesterday's FEDCO meeting brought the news that RTG expects to achieve RSA on August 16th. They will be submitting substantial completion notice within the next 10 days and the city and the independent certifier expect to agree with the assessment. Following this the 12 day test period will begin, along with the final steps to achieve handover to the city.

Passengers should expect to ride the rails in September, around the middle of the month. An official date will be announced approximately 4 weeks before opening, so around mid August or shortly after.

We should start seeing 15 coupled LRVs operating in the coming week for more testing in anticipation of the 12 day test phase to start.

So, deep deep down I want this to be true, I hope RTG is able to complete the 12 days of testing before the 16th of August.

However I listened to the Fedco Meeting, and this is purely my speculation I have no inside source or knowledge however I don't think they will be ready. Just by the sound of their voices it felt like they are now just pushing for completion for the sake of telling the public that they completed.

I don't understand how they can say they have 100's of items left to be completed however they believe the system has met the substantial completion.

I know RTG will get all 15 double units out some time this weekend/upcoming week. however how does that equal meeting substantial completion. I know they need to go through another full 12 days of testing with out major issue but I feel like just getting 15 double units out is not enough to qualify that it has been thoroughly proven the system can handle it.

I have a feeling we will see another delay before the 16th. However my train geek side of me says that it will get pushed through regardless and I will be sitting on this thing like a nerd some time mid September.

6 hours ago, Jebus05 said:

I don't understand how they can say they have 100's of items left to be completed however they believe the system has met the substantial completion.

This morning I saw a train at Hurdman where one of the lights above the doors didn't light up. Hardly a serious issue and not something that could stop substantial completion, but still counts towards those items (I would think). There are plenty of small touchups to be done across the system too, even bigger things like the art installation at Tunney's isn't quite done yet.

6 hours ago, Jebus05 said:

I know RTG will get all 15 double units out some time this weekend/upcoming week. however how does that equal meeting substantial completion. I know they need to go through another full 12 days of testing with out major issue but I feel like just getting 15 double units out is not enough to qualify that it has been thoroughly proven the system can handle it.

If they can reliably run 15 trains at once, then what is there left to prove? What would hold it back from actually being substantially complete?

Substantial completion also needs to go through the independent certifier who could block it if they believe something is incomplete, so we'll find out whether that happens next week.

I agree with what @occheetos said above. There will no doubt be lots of minor deficiencies like he mentioned, but nothing that won't be corrected in the coming months and over time. These are items that are not critical to actually operate the line. The intention now is to get what is required completed so that the line can be opened to passengers.

With the news that they will be filing for Substantial Completion in the coming days and should it be accepted, it would mean that there are no longer any issues or problems that would stand in the way of opening the line. Naturally at that point the 12 day test should confirm that and also bring with it a realistic reliability assessment from how well everything works during the final major test.

32 days to go before RSA if all goes well.

On 7/12/2019 at 5:21 PM, occheetos said:

This morning I saw a train at Hurdman where one of the lights above the doors didn't light up.

Like a burnt light-bulb, or something more technical? 

Keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be any major issues. Best case would have been an opening date before Labour Day, but seems that's no longer feasible. At the very least, I hope they launch Line 1 on a Saturday. The three week parallel bus service should be enough to keep the new service from being overwhelmed. 

9 minutes ago, J.OT13 said:

Like a burnt light-bulb, or something more technical? 

Just a light that didn't turn on. The corresponding door opened and closed normally.

I was out by uOttawa and Hurdman today and the trains were running every 3 minutes, but after a little while trains got held up. A train at Hurdman was stopped for about 10 minutes (presumably because of an issue elsewhere on the line) and then after that there was a string of about 3 trains headed eastbound basically right behind each other. They've got the 15 trains out, but there are obviously a handful of hiccups left to fix.

I had seen a double train stopped going east just before Bayview on Sunday but it looked like a few guys were about 20 ft ahead of it inspecting something on the side of the track.