Shane

Favorite Confederation Line Stations

What are your favorite stations or your one standout?

For me, I really like the 3 downtown underground stations, however of the three, Parliament is my favorite. The concourse ceiling artwork really stands out, same for the artwork in the guideway divider.

I also like Rideau for the long escalator and elevator rides.

i love the view of the track and platforms from the overhead walkway entrance at Blair and the glass panel artwork curtains as well. 

I still am quite fond of Pimisi, but I think the wow-factor at Rideau is there, for other reasons.

Pimisi is a spot where I want to bring my lunch, enjoy the calmness on the plaza while watching the trains from below. As LeBreton will develop, it will become a hub for activities and other things which I am looking forward to. Plus the art is beautiful, inside and out.

As for Rideau, it is a “technical” beauty; the deepest on the network, the longest escalator, the cavernous platform level, the gallery about the art of the other stations. I don’t believe it is the most beautiful station underground (Parliament would be for me), but it is the most stunning if you start your journey there.

Honorable mention to Blair and Tunneys. They both have stunning architecture and quite a presence on their environment. I think no station represents more the Confederation Line architecture than those two, with their slopped roofs and open areas.

8 hours ago, DavidBellerive said:

As for Rideau, it is a “technical” beauty; the deepest on the network, the longest escalator, the cavernous platform level, the gallery about the art of the other stations. I don’t believe it is the most beautiful station underground (Parliament would be for me), but it is the most stunning if you start your journey there.

Same opinion as I have (how original of me...)   I just wish that the Rideau station had the fare gates to the sides instead of across the width of the tunnel. And you could use the tunnel as a walkway.   Its a big change for a small gain in underground movement, but every little bit helps.   I could see a future day in which the Williams St pedway and Williams Street in the market does a cut and cover pedestrian way tunnel as an entrance to the Otrain.  (A York street entrance) This of course would give you enclosed winter access from deep in the market to the mall and the Westin.   And I am sure there is an old tunnel waiting to be rehabbed from the Westin or west side of the mall to the old train station/Senate and then there is the tunnel to the Chateau.

Done well, the official Byward Market group could have all winter long underground market days for sure.  Seriously, if the Market is going to spend a bazillion dollars rehabbing, they should put in a lower level for just this purpose.

My MS Paint drawing of what I am talking about for Rideau Station

rideau.png