Rob

Favorite Stations on the Metro

What are your favorite stations on the Metro in Montreal and what about them makes them among your favorites?

Personally, I really like Snowdon due to the design and layout of being 3 separated parallel tunnels; Cote-des-Neiges because of the cybernetic look and art on the walls and overhead lighting; de la Concorde because of the grass design on the glass and the entrance being encased by a glass dome bubble. Many others that are great but what's most interesting is how each station was designed by a different person, to make clear distinctions and have different styles, layouts and looks.

What about you? Which do you like and why?

I love Berri-UQAM (for the name and the sheer size of the station and layout). Others for me are Bonaventure as it feels like a grand central station due to the vaulting ceilings and large flowing lines. McGill is another interesting one as it is quite wide open and the pillars give it a unique look. Lionel Groulx also interesting due to the track configuration of the incoming and outgoing being stacked one on another. Definitely lots to love in the Metro.

• Like 1

Charlevoix has some really nice stained glass as you travel down the escalators. Makes for a kaleidoscope effect when the sun is really shining.

Plamondon is also interesting with the way the tracks swoop down as the trains leave. You can see them execute a turn as they enter. Hard to explain but very fun to watch.

I like Berri-UQAM.  Three lines meet there.  The Orange, Green and Yellow.

• Like 1

As I used to live on the south shore, transferring from line 4 to line 2 all the way to the top was not fun at Berri-de Montigny! I was glad when I started going to McGill Station which I like as it is airy and large and well connected to the underground city. Lionel-Groulx is also a great station for its design and the convenience in transferring from one line to the other. 

I was in Montreal a week ago and enjoyed Snowdon Station. It's quite large and as the entrance is off to one end, you get to walk a bit of a distance to experience the station. The placement of the elevators going from the fare gates to the concourse is also impressive, and is probably very similar to the O-Train downtown stations underground for their length.