OC Transpo/STO Fan

Survey: Your favourite OC Transpo bus models that are currently active?

My absolute favourite would probably be the later 2008 ISL D60LFs due to the older design while still being similar to the D60LFRs. These buses also sound better than the D60LFRs in my opinion due to not having that fan system at the rear of the bus. The seats are fine with me. The D60LFs also use yellow tube lights instead of LEDs which I greatly prefer.

Second would probably be Inveros. Say what you will, but in my opinion, these buses were just fine other than the somewhat poor lighting, slow rear door, and general design. I would actually rather ride an Invero than a hybrid to be honest. I will definitely miss them when they all retire. I actually enjoy them being loud. I love hearing one pass by every time.

Third would be D60LFRs. While they're not bad, the Invero and D60LF both trump the LFRs. There's nothing wrong with them but I find the LED lighting a bit too blue. I like the seats but they're personally not a major upgrade from the older ones in my opinion. They have more padding.

Fourth would be double deckers. I love riding on the top, especially at the front. I like the engine sound although it is a bit quiet. The seats are comfortable. The only issue is that I sometimes end up hitting my head on the ceiling when on the top. There was one time where I somehow hit my head on the next stop announcement screen (was trying to get into a seat at the very front on the top deck) and it gave me a mild headache that day. The same thing happened when getting off the bus. I'm 5'6 to put that into perspective.

Fifth would be the hybrids. While I don't enjoy them as much as the above buses, they are really a dying breed because they are the last Orions left. I like the sound of them and I like riding them as well. These buses are retiring (almost 25% of them have been retired already) so it's our last chance to ride them.

Last would be the Nova LFSs. So far, I'm not particularly liking them but they may grow on me later. The seats have no padding (despite being the same model as the newer artics and the double deckers) and I'm not sure about the Cummins L9/ZF transmission combo to be honest.

Great topic.

Of the 6 models of bus currently in use, my order of preference would be...

1. New Flyer D60LFr
  2. Nova LFS
  3. Orion VII Hybrid
  4. New Flyer D60LF
  5. Alexander Dennis double decker
  6. New Flyer Invero

I really like the D60LFr, because of the ride experience. Smooth, comfortable, spacious, and the big doors make boarding and disembarking quick and easy, as compared to 40 foot buses.

The Nova LFS to me is a good bus, taking most of the modern advancements with the relative sleek design of this bus model. Having ridden them many times on the STO as well as back in the early 2000s when OC Transpo had 20 of them, they have definitely improved over the years and are a solid bus, one I am happy to see the city invest in, to have some variety.

The Hybrid's are overall a decent bus, with my only gripe being the obscenely loud stop request bell. If you are sitting next to it or right underneath, your ears will feel the pain of the high pitch squeal.

On 2019-11-13 at 4:06 PM, Shane said:

Great topic.

Of the 6 models of bus currently in use, my order of preference would be...

1. New Flyer D60LFr
  2. Nova LFS
  3. Orion VII Hybrid
  4. New Flyer D60LF
  5. Alexander Dennis double decker
  6. New Flyer Invero

I really like the D60LFr, because of the ride experience. Smooth, comfortable, spacious, and the big doors make boarding and disembarking quick and easy, as compared to 40 foot buses.

The Nova LFS to me is a good bus, taking most of the modern advancements with the relative sleek design of this bus model. Having ridden them many times on the STO as well as back in the early 2000s when OC Transpo had 20 of them, they have definitely improved over the years and are a solid bus, one I am happy to see the city invest in, to have some variety.

The Hybrid's are overall a decent bus, with my only gripe being the obscenely loud stop request bell. If you are sitting next to it or right underneath, your ears will feel the pain of the high pitch squeal.

I will say that the Novas seem to be greatly improved over our 1997s, but that ZF transmission I'm just not really into yet. I'm still used to hearing an Allison transmission with the ISL/ISL9 engines in all OC buses.

The new batch coming in right now don't have padded seats so I suspect OC Transpo have a reason for skimping... maybe they wanted to save money? It's not like they forgot since they seemed to be aware of it when the first batch came in.

Edited by OC Transpo/STO Fan

On 2019-12-25 at 11:53 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

The new batch coming in right now don't have padded seats so I suspect OC Transpo have a reason for skimping... maybe they wanted to save money? It's not like they forgot since they seemed to be aware of it when the first batch came in.

Just a random hypothesis: could it be so that they can rush-order them?

On 2019-12-27 at 2:30 AM, DavidBellerive said:

Just a random hypothesis: could it be so that they can rush-order them?

Looks like OC are trying to get as many buses delivered as quickly as possible. By forgoing the padding on seats (which is really a minor issue at worst), Nova can likely get the buses done slightly faster and delivered to them more quickly. Looking back, November 27 to January 13 (today) and we have slightly more than 3/4 of the order in service already. 4734-4736, 4759, 4761, and 4763-4775 are the only ones not in service yet. In comparison, it took 4601-4682 four and a half months (April- late August 2019) to all enter service.

That's not a bad guess considering OC had to consider putting 40 Inveros back into service PLUS loaning or buying buses from other cities at one point. Speaking of the Inveros, only 4277 has been put back into service. I don't really know the status of the other recently retired units.

Edit: Did I really just say cuties instead of cities?? 🤣🤣

Cuties they're not. Spelling error corrected.

Edited by OC Transpo/STO Fan
  • Thanks 1