Shane

OC Transpo - Facilities, Location Nicknames, etc.

Hello all,

For myself, and I am sure many others who are not completely familiar with all the locations and the nicknames (lingo) used for the facilities at OC Transpo, I am hoping someone in the know could explain each one and where they are located for better understanding moving forward. It would definitely help with understanding when we speak about new deliveries, or bus spottings to better understand where they actually are.

Locations such as Greyhound, Thermo King, Jurassic Park, Eastway, etc.

Thanks.

Thermo King is actually a HVAC manufacturer. They are responsible for fixing the HVAC systems on all OC buses since they all use systems from this company. They have a property where OC buses sometimes go for HVAC repairs. I'm not exactly sure where it's located.

Jurassic Park is a bus storage lot specifically meant for retired or dead buses that aren't capable of being put in service. It's at St. Laurent garage. It got its nickname from the 1993 movie of the same name because the buses are said to be "ancient dinosaur buses".

Eastway is a bus refurbishing facility located totally outside of Ottawa at 100 Crandall St. in Pembroke. They were the ones responsible for rebuilding some of our buses, such as Inveros. In the early 2000s, they were also responsible for rebuilding and repainting our old GM New Look buses. However, the D60LFs currently being refurbished are being done by OC Transpo themselves.

By Greyhound, do you mean the Greyhound bus station (aka Ottawa Central Station)? It's located at 265 Catherine street. That's the main terminal for all Greyhound buses coming into or leaving Ottawa. OC Transpo's routes 14 and 55 also bring you there, although you have to walk for five minutes after getting off the bus.

Edit: There's also Greyhound Maintenance Garage located at 2105 Bantree St. Their job is to conduct pre-delivery inspections of new buses coming to Ottawa, such as our new Nova LFSs being delivered for example. 11 of them were there the other day and just moved to St. Laurent.

Edited by OC Transpo/STO Fan
  • Like 3

Thanks for all that.

Just a question on Thermo King, I've seen on other sites people saying that new buses are sometimes received at Thermo King where they do the inspections and setups. I guess they are referring to the AC, but they sometimes make it seem more like what you stated about the Greyhound Maintenance Garage.

On 2019-11-22 at 4:34 PM, Shane said:

Thanks for all that.

Just a question on Thermo King, I've seen on other sites people saying that new buses are sometimes received at Thermo King where they do the inspections and setups. I guess they are referring to the AC, but they sometimes make it seem more like what you stated about the Greyhound Maintenance Garage.

Some hybrids were at Thermo King when they were first received, as well as some of the 2009 D60LFs. I would assume they were all there for inspections (considering the sheer number of them) but they didn't really have anything to do with the HVAC systems. In this case, they were serving the same purpose as Greyhound Garage and City View*.

City View is actually another garage that does pre-delivery inspections for OC buses. 4601-4682 were all there before coming to St. Laurent.