J.OT13

Station Names

Last spring when Stage 2 winning bids were presented, the Mayor mentioned the City would hold consultations on station names. It was confirmed at the time that Baseline Station would be renamed Algonquin for the college. What other stations should be renamed? What suggestions would you present for these stations? What is your case for these suggestions?

Here are my thoughts.

Stage 2 South

Carling Station should be renamed Dow's Lake. Carling is one of the city's main thoroughfares stretching 18 kilometers and served by two stations (Carling and Lincoln Fields). The current name is not descriptive to the area it serves. As an important destinations for locals and tourists alike, in winter and summer, Dow's Lake should be recognized as an important stop on the O-Train network. 

Mooney's Bay Station was renamed recently, but the Bay is quite a hike away. Vincent Massey or Hog's Back would be more suitable. 

Stage 2 East

Trim Station, like Carling, is another main thoroughfare, this one over 16 kilometers and again served by two stations (Trim and Millennium). I would recommend Petrie's Landing for the large Brigil development. The naming rights could be given to the developer in exchange for a pedestrian bridge connecting the station from the north. Naming it La Cité, as suggested by the College's President, would not be a good option as it is not the main campus. 

Orléans Boulevard Station could be quite confusing considering Place d'Orléans Station is two stops away. I would name it Convent Glen for the neighborhood to the south. 

Montréal Station, named for yet another main thoroughfare. As it is the end of the street (by name) and  because that street is more associated with Vanier, I believe the name should be changed to Beacon Hill, for the neighborhood to the north-west. 

Stage 2 West

Dominion Station, the closest station to the Ottawa River, currently named for a minor street, could be renamed Kitchissippi, the Algonquin name for the Ottawa River. This would be a gesture similar to renaming LeBreton to Pimisi, but with a word that is already part of our general lexicon and better represents the area. 

Cleary Station, which has shifted away from Cleary Avenue, could be named Sherbourne for the adjacent street or McKellar Park for the neighborhood

New Orchard, I would recommend Ambleside for the high-rise neighborhood to the north. 

Queensview Station renamed Connaught, for the avenue, which is a better east-west locator than Queensview Drive, and for the park the rail line will tunnel under just before the station. 

As for Stage 1, I'm not a fan of Parliament Station. Having a word that has to be written in both official languages makes station identifiers look cluttered. Furthermore, Parliament the seat of government is a few minutes walk away. I would have preferred naming the station O'Connor to stay consistent with the naming convention of the other two downtown tunnel stations. 

I was not a fan of Pimisi Station at when the name was announced however, it has grown on me. I do believe we should rename a nearby street (Wellington behind the future library or a future street), a significant future building or neighborhood Pimisi in order to straighten the identity. 

Good points @J.OT13. While changing names later isn't anything new (it has already happened with Confederation Station changing to Mooney's Bay), we should try to avoid this, as well as names that can be confusing (especially for very long streets), such as Montreal or Carling Roads.

I personally don't have an issue with most of the names, but Orleans Blvd should be named something else as it is too similar to Place d'Orleans.

That's a good point for Trim station. Giving naming rights in exchange for an overpass to cross to the North side would be a great way to see better connectivity. No matter the name, the opposite side of the 174 needs a proper crossing in place, and it is a bit short sighted to not see it being done. It's still early days, plenty of time for this to change.

While the names do seem to be set for the time being, hopefully we have some that change to something more iconic.

7 hours ago, J.OT13 said:

As for Stage 1, I'm not a fan of Parliament Station. Having a word that has to be written in both official languages makes station identifiers look cluttered. Furthermore, Parliament the seat of government is a few minutes walk away. I would have preferred naming the station O'Connor to stay consistent with the naming convention of the other two downtown tunnel stations. 

I was not a fan of Pimisi Station at when the name was announced however, it has grown on me. I do believe we should rename a nearby street (Wellington behind the future library or a future street), a significant future building or neighborhood Pimisi in order to straighten the identity. 

I'm still not a fan of Pimisi for some reason. I get that they wanted it to be a homage to Algonquin leaders because they had requested it, but Lebreton was a better name in my opinion.

Parliament station I'm okay with.

We’re going to have the same issue with Gladstone Station and Walkley Station. They are both long streets that may confuse folks. 

I agree the Carling station should be changed to Dow’s Lake. If the new hospital ever gets built they may have to change it again. 

Speaking of Walkley, there is a south-east Transitway station called Walkley. It is not clear though if the bus platforms will connect to the train station, however judging by the pictures, they will be separate. While either is far from the other, they are still a bit of a distance apart. Probably 1-2 minute walk.

My question to you all, being that close, but yet not connected, should they share the same name?

Walkley Station will be a new station located south of Walkley Road adjacent to commercial property to the east. The station will front onto Walkley Road east of the South East Transitway Station and will consist of stairs and elevators from the entrance to the platform within the fare paid zone.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/trillium-stations/walkley

56 minutes ago, Shane said:

Speaking of Walkley, there is a south-east Transitway station called Walkley. It is not clear though if the bus platforms will connect to the train station, however judging by the pictures, they will be separate. While either is far from the other, they are still a bit of a distance apart. Probably 1-2 minute walk.

My question to you all, being that close, but yet not connected, should they share the same name?

They seem to be close enough to justify sharing the same name. The station maps and diagrams could plausibly include both. Should Trillium ever be double tracked, it might even be possible to physically link them. 

This is in contrast to Mooney's Bay Station which could not be named Heron since the Transitway Station of the same name is significantly further. 

On 2019-11-28 at 9:06 AM, Shane said:

I was surprised too that they aren’t connecting the train and bus stations. By the looks of the plan you have to exit one station and walk along Walkley in order to enter the other station.