Shane

Upcoming O-Train Fans Interviews

Hi David, no there wasn't enough time to go further on those points from what was discussed in the video.

But it is good news to know that the possibility of having trains cross the bridge in the future is not completely off the table.

• Like 1

On a sidenote, I don't think it made it into the video interview with Troy Charter but the question of "Will Stage 2 trains be placed in regular rotation with Stage 1 fleet once they’ve been fully tested?"...

Yes they will be in the rotation as they become ready and have the necessary hours/kilometres on them. They don't want trains sitting idle indefinitely.

• Like 1

Our latest Behind the Scenes video has released... a visit to the Transit Operations Contrôle Centre (TOCC). 

The interview with Michael Morgan is fast approaching, and there is still a bit of time left to submit questions on Stage 2 so that they may be chosen and answered in the video  

• Like 2

Small update:

The interview with Michael Morgan has been rescheduled several times and was again this past week so at this point I am not sure when it will happen. Stay tuned. 

I also had another interview lined up for today but a last minute change at my full-time job now makes that no longer possible. 

Hoping some will pan out soon. 

• Like 1

Hi Shane. Since you haven't had your interview with Michael Morgan yet, I would like to submit additional questions for consideration. Now that we know the Stage 1 active trains vs spare trains ratio is insufficient, even with fewer active trains than originally contracted, is the City/OC Transpo looking into purchasing additional trains on top of the 38 already ordered for Stage 2? How many active trains will it take to maintain the current 4 minute service once the east branch opens? What about the west branch?

I fully understand if it's too late to submit questions. These might have been better directed at Mr. Scrimgeour, so I may have missed the boat (it left the port on time ?). 

• Like 1

Good questions @J.OT13. Those items were planned to be asked but thanks for your phrasing of it. 

So some good news and bad news. The bad news is that Michael Morgan will not be available for the video at this time. However an engineer who is a subject expert is and so the Stage 2 technical video should go ahead very soon. I am still awaiting further details but should have confirmation later this week. 

Thank you all for your continued interest. On a sidenote, the snapshot updates will resume very soon. Family and weather have put it then on a short pause but I promise they will return very soon. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Stage 2 technical video. Sad to hear for Morgan but at the same time I can see why it might not be the best timing of all.

Hopefully everything is fine @Shane and of course everything else should come first in life!

Speaking of updates: any update on when the 417 overpass will be deconstructed / destroyed to be realigned with the mid-road plan?

Interview with Pat Scrimgeour - Director of Transit Customer Systems and Planning - March 2020

In this video interview with Pat Scrimgeour, Director of Transit Customer Systems and Planning, we discuss and get some context on the service being offered, improvements that have occurred and are planned, the arrival of Happy Goat Coffee Co., busking program, next bus arrival times, and Stage 2 LRT.

Please note, this interview was conducted earlier in the month of March.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/news/interview-with-pat-scrimgeour-director-of-transit-customer-systems-and-planning-march-2020

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shane said:

Interview with Pat Scrimgeour - Director of Transit Customer Systems and Planning - March 2020

In this video interview with Pat Scrimgeour, Director of Transit Customer Systems and Planning, we discuss and get some context on the service being offered, improvements that have occurred and are planned, the arrival of Happy Goat Coffee Co., busking program, next bus arrival times, and Stage 2 LRT.

Please note, this interview was conducted earlier in the month of March.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/news/interview-with-pat-scrimgeour-director-of-transit-customer-systems-and-planning-march-2020

Excellent job. Watching the Interview a question popped into my head, when do they plan to install advertisement and posters inside the station ? Is that planned or do they plan on keeping the network "advert free"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matth69000 said:

Watching the Interview a question popped into my head, when do they plan to install advertisement and posters inside the station ? Is that planned or do they plan on keeping the network "advert free"

There is currently a "moratorium" on adverts on the Confederation Line, waiting for the city to do a study and decision through council. I cannot find those references right away, or the exact time when it is to be reviewed, but I think it was for 18 months following opening or something along those lines?

Curious to see what the decision will be, given that the cost of adverts has been decreasing on public transit and that it would be a "almost meaningless" amount of revenue for OC Transpo. I guess it all depends on the recommendation from city staff.

Also, wanted to say huge thanks to Shane once again for taking the time to do the interview. Scrimgeour really went in depth whenever possible and shared some interesting informations.

Looking forward to some of the changes discussed (GPS-tracking, payment options, etc.) and how they will actually be implemented. I still think OC should do like the STO / STM and adopt Transit as their official app, but I guess it is little steps in the right direction.

For Stage 2, the service pattern will be interesting to see in operation. I still think there should be some sidings along certain points so trains can be inserted or moved aside, but for now I think it is the best that can be done without really going "overkill" downtown in terms of frequency. This also seems to indicate that, even with the line running at lowest interval under CBTC (90 seconds), we would likely see trains operating at 3 minutes interval beyond Lincoln Field, which would provide a bit more capacity than currently available in the core, which is still impressive! I guess another option if there is a need to increase capacity is to make the Moodie/Kanata to Lincoln Field a seperate service as will be done in lower service periods.

• Like 1

Thank you David. Always great to get this type of information to share. 

The Stage 2 service plans are quite interesting and different than what I had previously read and seen elsewhere. It does sound like a good plan that doesn’t compromise too much or lead to too low service frequency intervals on the branches. I should have asked about Trillium Line but that totally slipped my mind. A question for the future. 

20 hours ago, Shane said:

I should have asked about Trillium Line but that totally slipped my mind. A question for the future. 

I don't expect much to change from the already known plans for it with the same frequency as currently. Given that South Keys is one platform I would guess they'll have the two timetables "split apart" by a 3-4 minute gap so that north-south can use their respective platform, then Airport shuttle comes in afterwards and cabin swap. Turn around at Tunney's and Blair can be done is 4-5 minutes and even less so I guess that would be the way. 12 minutes service pattern would look something like this. I am not too sure how representative those times between sections are though.

• 0:00 Trains arrives Platform 1 and 2 (Southbound, Northbound)
  • 1:30 End of dwell time
  • 3:00 Clear of the switches (Airport Branch and Limebank)
  • 3:30 Shuttle is allowed onto mainline
  • 5:00 Shuttle arrives at Platform 1 or 2
  • 8:30 End of turn-around and departure
  • 10:00 Clear of the switches
  • 10:30 Northbound train continues on tracks
  • 12:00 Train arrives in Platform 1 and 2

Not sure how long the actual dwell times will be (went on the longer end), but given the longer trains and increased door count, I'd expect shorter dwell times than with the Lint even for similar traffic. Same for time to clear the south switches as they are about 600m from platform. All this to show it possible to do, but still "tight" for a 12 minute frequency with the known configuration so far. This also raises the question whether or not interlining of trains all the way to Bayview is even possible with the current alignment and not double-tracking: the current 12 minute service pattern seems to be the "lowest possible" on this section so there is no real increase in frequency possible without cutting frequencies south in half. I might be totally in the wrong there of course but we'll see!