Shane

Stage 1 - Confederation Line - Construction Updates

I wished I had been wrong back in November but here we are April. What a mess. 

The nice thing though is that at this point a May opening means that university is done and that is nice as the train will once again be the campus shuttle between Campus and Lees. Better to open in good weather with fewer passengers to better be able to figure out any issues that comes up. 

FYI, the next FEDCO meeting will be February 12th at 9:30am.

For anyone interested, Google Maps has just recently updated their satellite imagery to images taken in 2018. You can now see the full Confederation Line with all stations built as well as a few trains (such as 1122 at Tunney's and a couple near Belfast Yard).

In the side menu on Google Maps you have to make sure "Globe" is turned off in order to see the new imagery.

OC Transpo have posted a 360 degree interactive tour of the Citadis Spirit trains interior.

You can view and walk through it here : https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=d7xdMxshaUn&brand=0

-----

RTG will miss the March 31st deadline (3rd deadline missed), and is now aiming for Q2 2019 (April-June). 24 out of 34 trains are certified and the remainder have minor deficiencies left to correct. The recent news of issues in snow and winter weather relates to the track maintenance and not the trains, as stated by John Manconi.

Went for a walk tonight, and it was really nice to see the speed of the trains, but the progress at the stations. Haven't been at Tunney's / Bayview and Pimisi since January and they look like they could welcome passengers tomorrow. So nice to see, and can't wait!

The concourse at Tunney's is really vast, a lot more than I expected. A similar theme from the 360 view of Lyon. It will be interesting to see how it flows during rush hour but they definitely took all the "possible" precautions.

Yesterday, I recorded an informational video with Mayor Jim Watson and at that time he shared the good news that we are now awaiting occupancy on only one station. 

Rail is almost here and big milestones are being reached all the time. Won’t be long now. 

The video will be published on YouTube in the near future. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there any indication that there will be any form of "opening celebrations" or things of the sort? I know last year we had O-Train Presto Cards, but I am talking more in terms of actual events at the stations or stuff.

Can't wait to see this interview, and to catch those trains in the near future!

No official word yet on an opening celebration, but I'm sure there will be something. It's the biggest infrastructure project in the city's history. The O-Train is big and will change the face of Ottawa for the better.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't something, big or small.

From the weekly Confederation Line Update email, it states :

• Testing of the CBTC (train control system) continues and 32 out of 34 vehicles have been safety certified for the onboard control system.
  • The last two vehicles are forecast to complete the DPICO shortly (a test done to confirm that all equipment on the train has been installed in accordance with the specification and design).
  • All 34 trains have operated on the guideway as part of the testing process.

With the news I shared earlier about only one station remains to receive their occupancy permit, it looks like the trains are nearly all ready and certified. All 34 trains have operated on the line and only 2 remain to be safety certified for the control systems and to complete a full system and equipment test.

You go around the city to the stations and all over, the construction fences and hoardings are coming down.

While some stations still look like construction sites, upon closer inspection, it is just cleanup and demobilizing on site equipment (ladders, fork lifts, tools, etc.)

These are very exciting times, if things continue as they are, Q2 2019 looks like it will really have a chance at happening. Fingers crossed!

It would be very cool if they opened up the new Trillium Line platform at Bayview prior to the Confederation Line opening like how they've opened up the staircase there.

They'd have to barricade the stairs and escalators, and I would imagine that would require  technically "handing the station over" so it probably won't happen... but it'd be cool.

I try to reconcile the optimism generated by the progress along the aligment and the fact that RTG (Rideau Transit Group) has until May 31st to announce a new (and hopefully final) date for the handover. That is six weeks away... and about four weeks before the end of Q2 2019. 

One question to you Shane: Did the Mayor or anybody else close to the project float any date for the opening?

While filming the video, the Mayor was very confident about having passenger service by July 1st. 

This echoes what was already stated previously at FEDCO and elsewhere about Q2 2019. So it would seem like things remain on track and progressing well. From a public perspective, visiting the stations and seeing the progress as well as the construction fences and hoardings being removed, as well as the news that all trains have been operated along the line, and now down to just one station awaiting its occupancy permit.... the facts and visuals of the situation seem to back it up.

The next FEDCO meeting is in less than 3 weeks. We should have a good indication then.

21 hours ago, occheetos said:

It would be very cool if they opened up the new Trillium Line platform at Bayview prior to the Confederation Line opening like how they've opened up the staircase there.

They'd have to barricade the stairs and escalators, and I would imagine that would require  technically "handing the station over" so it probably won't happen... but it'd be cool.

I was hoping for the same thing, but doubt that would happen for the reasons you gave, plus all the extra fencing required to limit access to the "closed" sections of the station. Same for Blair, wouldn't take much to reopen the pedestrian overhead walkway to the Gloucester Centre, instead of the zig-zag maze to go around everything on the ground. Speaking of Blair, I am interested to see how they finish off the station once it is open. They currently have the stairs in the building covered with wood to allow for a ground level exit for those using the pedestrian walkway bridge to Telsat. What will happen to those doors afterward? Locked and forgotten or removed and a new concrete wall erected?

I could see the use as an emergency exit but once the tracks are extended to Orleans in a few years, that exit will lead nowhere... one side the LRT tracks and the other the 174 highway.

Do we have an ETA on the MUP between Lees and uOttawa reopening? Fence at SITE is open, but one just under Nicholas St exit on the 417 is “closed”. I’ll add a quick clip I took between both stations, the speed is really nice to see, and the sound of the rails as they approach is surprising too!

EDIT: I can't seem to figure out how to attach a video to this. Oups.

EDIT 2: Here's the link! Just a train leaving and arriving at Lees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6mXzA2-mmI