Shane

Stage 1 - Confederation Line - Construction Updates

The Trillium Line (Line 2) will be closed as of Monday for summer maintenance for about a week. Following this, service will resume but only between Greenboro and Carling. The section between Carling and Bayview will remain closed for several weeks as preparation work takes place for the 417 Highway overpass replacement, which passes over the tracks.

It would be very reasonable to assume based on the Transit Commission meeting that they will take this time to remove the temporary stop at Bayview and ready everything for the service to resume at the new Bayview Station line 2 platform in August.

As such, if anyone passes by and sees progress to this end being made, please share it here. Most notably, if the wood paneling that marks the end of the line at Bayview is removed to allow passage through to the new station, we can definitely accept that as confirmation that the new platform will enter service as soon as the train returns to Bayview in late August. Ripping up the old temporary platform as well would be another sign 😛

I have been informed that the new Line 2 platform at Bayview won’t open as early as we were thinking it would (with the resumption of service to Bayview in August). While it was discussed at the Transit Commission meeting recently that it would open earlier than Confederation, the plans have seemingly changed. 

The most likely scenario would be for it to open with the Confederation Line, although there is a chance it could open a week early. (But it seems like that would be the earliest it would).

As we have discussed and speculated here on the forums in the past, the challenges related to segregating the Line 2 zone from the rest of the station for safety and security seems to be one of the reasons. We have to remember that the upper level is currently in testing with Line 1, so keeping it secure is paramount. In the end, I was wondering how they were going to limit the publicly accessible areas of the station to pull this off...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, on every article/thread on the LRT I see (and have seen for the last 5 months) there's always a handful of people who comment on how everything is going to fall apart once it starts snowing, so I guess I have to ask... @Corvulpes, are you able to comment on the reliability of the trains during the winter months?

Edited by occheetos

Yep, that's pretty much all from the chianello article, which was mostly truthful but taken to mean different things out of context. If rtg keeps up with snow removal, I don't anticipate any significant problems in normal conditions. Maybe a major ice storm could take down some OCS, but the city is shutting down at that point anyway. The trains can take on a fair amount of snow. Even with fresh snow fallen several inches above the rails, with no trains having passed by in hours, a train will do fine as long as it doesn't stop. If it stops it will have to take a run at it. But keep in mind this would never even actually happen in normal conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have never had concern over the winter performance. Last year's news was taken from a moment in time that was clear would lead to issues. The track hadn't been maintained (as it would have been in actual service) so a considerable amount of snow was on the guideway. Try driving an average car down a non-plowed street with 1-2 feet of snow. Very likely it's going to have a hard time or get stuck.

The plan calls for trains to continue to circulate overnight to keep the rails clear, upgraded track maintenance equipment to clear snow, among other things. Whether the trains are proven or not, I don't see how that is relevant. Just like a car it is the wheel only that makes contact with the ground (or in this case, track). Steel wheel train wheels have been in use for over a hundred years. This isn't anything new, and to push the point even further, they existed before cars and tires. Since their invention, they have advanced in design and material.

Steel train wheels are not an issue in winter, they have been proven to work. Look at the Trillium Line O-Train, I can't recall it ever getting stuck... nor do we hear about VIA Rail or CN or CP rail getting stuck in the snow in the news. Probably does happen from time to time but rare enough that we never hear about it.

Same for a car. You can have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 get stuck in snow in the right circumstances. With the right conditions it can happen, it's just 4 wheels touching the ground.

Same if you switch your Michelin X-ICE tires on the Jeep for slick Formula 1 dry tires. Probably gonna have issues in 1cm of snow, even though it's the same vehicle.

I think the hype on this topic in the media and on social media has gone too far, which is truly unfortunate. The Confederation Line trains use the same type of steel wheels as countless other trains. Those wheels are the only things that make contact with the ground/rail. What type of train those wheels are connected to has little bearing on the level of traction those wheels get. It's a matter of friction and physics.

What gives you better traction walking down the slippery sidewalk? Your summer flip-flops or your rugged big lug winter hiking boots?

Getting a bit off the rails here, but bottom line.... steel wheels are steel wheels. Been used forever, all around the world. That's what makes contact with the rail, that's where the traction and grip is, that's what matters most.

Steel wheels are proven.... what else matters?