Advertisement

DavidBellerive

Confederation Line - Train Tests Spotting

Went for a spot yesterday (April 1st) and last Thrusday (March 28th). Yesterday they were only testing double trains at a rate of one train every 7 to 10 minutes. Also speed of the Double trains seems to now match-up with that of the single trains. Enjoy the Video, I'll try to make more before the line opens 🙂 !
P.S : I love the noise of these trains, almost subway like !

• Like 3

Advertisement

Great shots. The trains do accelerate and slow quite quickly which is good to see.

Thanks for sharing Matt,

• Like 1

Yeah was driving westbound on Scott street coming up to Bayview station and I was parallel to a double-linked tram. Clocked it at 60 KM/h exactly as we were approaching City Center then it slowed down as I don't imagine he was about to roll into the station from 60 to 0! 😛

• Like 1

Caught some Singles and one Double during todays snowfall at Lees Stn.

20190409_162211.thumb.jpg.fea435718d30f19585e01670e8b72b7d.jpg

20190409_162125.thumb.jpg.8a9883ccf58d9266b14dbb5033bef836.jpg

20190409_213115.thumb.jpg.d214cf78d15b072db832bd0ff0aedf5a.jpg

• Like 1

Great pics. Lees is turning into quite a good spot to snap photos thanks to the curve in the track, overpass and pathways. 

Tremblay is also another good spot. The testing is really running at full steam now. 

On 3/22/2019 at 4:53 AM, DavidBellerive said:

Spotted the same units earlier during the day, with 1105 and 1107 coupled. The count I am maintaining is now at 24 vehicles spotted, ten missing.

The pace today was really impressive, easily a train every 4 minutes. Unfortunately, forgot to keep count of how many concurent units, but almost all of them had the passenger info systems on, and the “next train” display functioning.

Units not yet spotted on the alignment as of March 21st.

1101, 1102, 1106, 1108, 1110, 1111, 1119, 1127, 1128 and 1134.

Of the ones previously not spotted, today I saw 1101, 1111. So you can consider those active and spotted. Has anyone seen the other units above?

• Like 1

Last night, I passed around uOttawa at 1:15AM and there was still trains testing, in fact it was a double unit. didn't manage to notice the numbers though.

19 hours ago, Shane said:

Of the ones previously not spotted, today I saw 1101, 1111. So you can consider those active and spotted. Has anyone seen the other units above?

I have spotted 1110, 1119 and 1128.

As for names of trains from the contest last year, I have made a list of the ones I know. I will update this list so if anyone knows any others, let me know.

1103-Emily Carr

1122-Log Driver

1130-Billy Bishop

• Like 1

Here's an updated list of those missing, or not yet spotted, as of April 14, 2019.

1102, 1106, 1108, 1127, 1134

As for the list with the names, maybe it could be placed under the train page for each respective trainsets, since the LINT are also getting names? @Shane

• Like 1

Hi David. Good idea. I can add that to the respective pages, once we have a more complete list. Thanks.

Good day, 
Just want to share with you guys another spotting session I made last week at dusk between Lees & uOttawa. For some reason all train (expect 1), were all headed eastbound. 

First-time caller here.The last few days I've noticed very frequent testing, but still at least 60-80% single trains. The scale-up from the first double-train test to a full test of 15 doubles (which I gather is a milestone before the 12-day test can begin) is taking a fair bit longer than I thought it would, given that there seem to be 30 trains available. Does anyone have an educated guess at what is involved in this process (e.g. electrical scale-up testing, operator training, etc?)

Thanks,

Evan

This morning (@ 10 am) I saw 1108 running from Lee station to uOttawa. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ramez said:

This morning (@ 10 am) I saw 1108 running from Lees to uOttawa.

Noted!

Yesterday was a fun day for me, went to most stations on the Western alignment, and it is sooooo close, I can almost taste it.

Boarding at Bayview is completely removed, you can now use the central staircase, and spot trains from the end of the platform (I'll try to take a picture next time I am around there). Same for Tunney's (apparently been this way for a bit, but still nice to see). Both stations have the announcements working, and most trains seem to have their name sticker in place. Wasn't able to note down any of them as I forgot my phone, but I'll try to add on the list. Pimisi is gonna be a really interesting station to visit when the plaza and MUP will be opened properly, but it looks like all those stations are really finalized, just waiting for final opening.

Weirdly enough, especially at Bayview, the announcement saying "a train will be arriving shortly, stand clear of the platform edge" plays after the train arrives, maybe a timing bug in the system. Really excited to go tour the stations and take loads of photos, so many nice architectural details across the alignment. Resolutely modern.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 11:58 AM, Evan said:

First-time caller here.The last few days I've noticed very frequent testing, but still at least 60-80% single trains. The scale-up from the first double-train test to a full test of 15 doubles (which I gather is a milestone before the 12-day test can begin) is taking a fair bit longer than I thought it would, given that there seem to be 30 trains available. Does anyone have an educated guess at what is involved in this process (e.g. electrical scale-up testing, operator training, etc?)

Thanks,

Evan 

Hi Evan, welcome to O-Train Fans and the forums.

I do not have the exact answer but I do know that there was mention fairly recently of doing power and electrical stress testing and loading. If so, that could explain the slow ramp-up of vehicles. It was also stated that again about a month ago that 20 vehicles had operated concurrently along the line. If we go to double vehicles for full service, that's 28-30 drawing power (which is around a 50% increase). To me, this would make the most sense, and they want to measure the supply for stability and output.

Of course, there could be other reasons too. One thing is for sure, things are advancing and the end is coming into sight.

Some names:

• 1108 - Jacques Cartier
  • 1114 - Nathan Cirillo
  • 1129 - Boreal 
  • 1133 - Lord Stanley
  • ???? - Henrietta Edwards (had no visible fleet number on the side or in the rear windshield, was coupled to 1130)

From looking closely at the videos on the home page (these are educated guesses):

• 1101 - Odawa
  • 1107 - Louis Riel

Here's what the decals look like if you haven't seen one yet (red rectangle below the window):

67cGWKTraQh_3wc2LbwGG572e11p6LcUQc5FWu0sprzrZs9j1Fb0e1-az9P-BX3aN92AxCwOdIxKVMNTvEDFhlMLTSweHl_-g56ukDT2gpVxP_RxINR48DArCi7-sDUkSeD1mmxFYALXNkCMSwsp3nl18keNbc0kwXbygZ8px44Rgpxe_zWpgRDrB4AHfjffJzejR3x8tMEMgHckX297CuqSCOKNLeyxhfQTLOGbLJUS39EdVHHTcDIeqiaWPLI2AxUyFsrBL0AbGjSLqkdDtWE_6kgRdPusKnvLq6ipXNf8DuxXTAXDI3ZjsVb9A-8X7wGBDQKwsTS7tllHu-fx_XaqQ6q02wA-jibtaNP3Ue1kHenFEiRiQUzbCVIO6Hrr7ym0U0LVgukQDx8DvbDeXPpUbWFKHgNMRHvkSxbYyPWPS2XtLOEOzWvMYXzdrXtrKaWUah0KDEhBG1pwqL_DoS42nOQMhsQEAgPlrCpVNsquiUOhN1eHQyzi8icXUcNRbh2Fua3HH8xxdJfdMGbQkJt8ImQ-yfmwpRLtScgvNhqj1-m5tDayVDe4setHbESnkpFx0ji93jK-5Mug6LT5P-PQis4RXNHtiLRGV9yRFPazVTv2-vXR1lReaN6lfp5OFx6I_yKvgkihzTbMncKjsoar0YmRu9P5=w1250-h937-no

I had no idea what the name decals would look like until I spotted them today. I always thought they'd be near the top next to the fleet numbers. I should check the LINTs...

• 1107 - Louis Riel ( yes that's correct @occheetos )
  • 1123 - Boreal
  • 1130 - Billy Bishop

I wonder if the names are also represented inside the vehicles as well. That's what I first thought of for their location, another surprise to check when it is open.

On a side note, I notice that the couplers of the LRVs so far seem to be only installed on those that are actually coupled. The opposite ends of the train that aren't coupled do not have them in place. Could be that the extras are not needed for this level of testing, as I would expect both ends of all trains to be equipped with them once service is open and running.

2 hours ago, Shane said:
  • Could be that the extras are not needed for this level of testing, as I would expect both ends of all trains to be equipped with them once service is open and running.

Might be a consideration they had to optimize airflow, reducing drag. It is likely that the equipment for coupling is stored at the depot.

EDIT: I don't have evidence, since I don't have a clear picture of a unit without the front bumper installed, but is it possible that the coupler mechanism can be retracted, and the bumper attached manually? I have seen a variety of Citadis that have "mechanical" covers for the coupling system, so I guess ours are manual instead?

EDIT 2: I'll update my spotting file with the names as they are noticed. Will make it easy to recover / export instead of a variety of posts.

EDIT 3: Seem to have conflicting information for Boreal. @Shane reports 1123, @occheetos reports 1129. I'll leave "Boreal" as unsure.

1 hour ago, DavidBellerive said:

(snip)

EDIT 3: Seem to have conflicting information for Boreal. @Shane reports 1123, @occheetos reports 1129. I'll leave "Boreal" as unsure.

I also saw 1129 with the name Boreal, but possible they put it on two as a mistake?

Morning Everyone, I did some Spotting at Tremblay station last night, Sorry it's 6 clips and not one Video didn't have time to edit them into one.

Nice to see multiple back to back to back double train units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1cHwPCLib4&list=PLcZT75UzXpN28aleH4bLXuVNuDuiW4g1h

One weird thing I did notice was the lack of east bound trains, I was there from 8:15 to 8:45 and saw 2 east bound trains versus 7 west.

• Like 1

Welcome Jebus. Thanks for sharing your videos. Great to see lots of action under the cover of night. Nights are something we don’t always see very often. 

As some who may or may not be aware. The fencing has been taken down at Bayview Stn (on Albert). Now one can get closer to the action. 

Here's a screenshot from a video I did of a Train that departed Bayview EB 20190418_203307.jpg.7d4f3c04d7df158b97cf0155258ceaf5.jpg

• Like 1

Reddit user Corvulpes put together this list of train names they've seen

• 01 Odawa
  • 02 Thomas D’Arcy McGee
  • 03 Eh-Train
  • 04 Emily Carr
  • 07 Louis Riel
  • 08 Jacques Cartier
  • 10 John McCrae
  • 11 Poppy
  • 12 Juno
  • 13 Samuel de Champlain
  • 14 Nathan Cirillo
  • 15 Acadia
  • 16 Canada Goose
  • 17 Gord Downie
  • 21 Snowbird
  • 22 Logdriver
  • 23 Tundra
  • 24 Fox
  • 25 George Brown
  • 26 Agnes Macphail
  • 27 Henrietta Edwards
  • 28 The Mountie
  • 29 Boreal
  • 30 Billy Bishop
  • 31 Totem
  • 32 Maple Taffy

Which would leave the following unknown: Bluenose,  Beaver, Majestic Moose, Inuksuk, Normandy, Farley Mowat, Bertha Wilson, Lord Stanley

(found in this thread: www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/bes9up/ottawa_lrt_confederation_line_update)

• Thanks 2

Thank you Spenc and welcome to the forums.

That really helps big time. The trains missing are 05,06,09,18,19,20,33,34.

Once the list is complete, I will add it onto the Alstom Citadis Spirit page of the site. Thank you all!