Shane

O-Train - Daily Observations and Spottings

Yes, I mean that “cube”, which doesn’t really look much like the render above. uOttawa is one of the few stations with more than one public art installations.

Is there any station where the lightbox is complete? I think Lees was almost done but they took off most of the things on it.

• Like 1

The station renders show conflicting things about the lanterns. Most showed just the station name running vertically along the side or horizontally at the top but the later renders show a stylized red "O". It's still unclear to me what will be put on the lanterns but they look unfinished to me as they are right now. You can see in the old (top) and newer (bottom) renders of Tremblay that they seem to be going with the big "O" look with the station name at the top but I have yet to see anything like that appear at any of the stations.

Enterance B4A.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know if they are still there, but I think I saw the black top trim (as on the second rendering) sitting in the station at Lees. Might be the final design they went for?

I personally think it looks cleaner than the large sideway font, and complements the black accent found at most stations, but that's only my two cents.

Went by Lees Station and I noticed the permanent shelter and stop flags were recently installed. 

Here is a couple of shots that I took.

20190409_214136.thumb.jpg.d1b3c7789d3f80c7620379ab2e96ddff.jpg

20190409_132121.thumb.jpg.40315a1128eb16fb2c37034cb3ea00b4.jpg

Definitely appears that the construction fencing all over is coming down. 

Did you notice if the Lees name was added back to the station lantern?

The temporary fibro-cement siding is being removed on the platforms at Tunney's Pasture, probably so the permanent artwork (Gradient Space by Derek Root) can be installed.

(Also the old ≈Huron Avenue Transitway overpass is officially just an emergency exit now, far from being the secondary entrance with fare gate it was presented as on the renderings).

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the update @cprail. Eager to see it installed. More so to see the fences by the edge of the platforms removed as well.

Finishing touches... won't be long now. Fingers crossed for some good news at FEDCO in a week.

Was checking out testing at Blair today (had training in a building with a good view over the tracks 😁).

Frequency was good, though I haven't noticed a single double unit running today. I find it quite enjoyable to watch the "interlining" with the two platforms. Visually pleasing.

One thing I noticed from OC Transpo's website is that the retail spaces haven't been leased yet. They require one group / company to lease all four at the same time, which means we won't be getting much variety. Leases are 5 years, with only one renewal possible (total of 10 years). https://ottawa.ca/en/business/doing-business-city/city-properties-sale-and-lease#retail-spaces-lease-o-train-confederation-line-light-rail-stations

Being a fan of Montreal's Metro, many stations have a quickie or convenience store located within. I don't have a problem if that is the kind of retailer we get, as it makes the most sense. Not sure what else would be as suitable for a transit station.

I have seen at stations like Berri-UQAM several small cafe/resto and at McGill (Tims, Pizza Soleil, etc.) I know many may not be a fan of that kind of outlet in the stations but it would probably be the most successful. Hot day, get a cool drink. Or need a lotto ticket?

Hopefully they get filled in the near future.

I have to add that McGill has this super awesome fresh orange juice squeezing vending machine. Delicious.

4 hours ago, Shane said:

Being a fan of Montreal's Metro, many stations have a quickie or convenience store located within. I don't have a problem if that is the kind of retailer we get, as it makes the most sense. Not sure what else would be as suitable for a transit station.

I have seen at stations like Berri-UQAM several small cafe/resto and at McGill (Tims, Pizza Soleil, etc.) I know many may not be a fan of that kind of outlet in the stations but it would probably be the most successful. Hot day, get a cool drink. Or need a lotto ticket?

Hopefully they get filled in the near future.

I have to add that McGill has this super awesome fresh orange juice squeezing vending machine. Delicious.

Given the dimension and nature of the spaces (Montreal Metro is all indoors and controlled environment), not sure we will see convenience store style kiosks. If I recall, at least in the city's earlier plan, their goal was to have "experiences" at each station, and were looking for different businesses for each station, with an emphasis on it being "more than a store". Guess we'll have to wait to see what they do (I have a gut feeling we'll see some Gateway or something like that, look how small the one at Rideau is!), but it also kinda tells me that, if the city is pushing this more seriously, they are probably closer to launch than they might wanna admit (unless RTG is witholding information hehe).

On a completely unrelated topic, what kind of camera gear do you use Shane? I am currently looking to swap my Nikon for something newer, and you seem to get great performance from yours!

I put together the information from the link on the Retail Leasing opportunities, for reference and for archival purposes.

Retail Spaces for Lease O-Train Confederation Line 2019.pdf

@DavidBellerive, in fact, alot of the photos are taken with my iPhone 8 (I find it's more discrete that way). For the interview videos and some areas though, I am using a Panasonic GH3 mirrorless. Works great for videos, photos aren't too bad. My old Nikon D300s did a slightly better job with photos though I find. But video is amazing on the GH3. Maxes out at 1080p but more than enough for what I want to do.

For the videos snapshots, I mostly use my iPhone 8 and a DJI Osmo Mobile 2.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shane said:

My old Nikon D300s did a slightly better job with photos though I find.

D300s is probably one of the best body / sensor Nikon has made in a decade. Too bad video has evolved so much in the last few years making any of those cameras quite pointless for video nowadays... Though the GH3 is a versatility beast due to all the glass for M4/3 and how good the sensor is (given its size).

Iphone 8 and Osmo is really impressive, really smooth given the sensor size. Currently I do all my shooting with the XS Max but the noise floor is way too high for my liking, so might just go back to actual cameras in the near future!

Thanks for the snapshot update btw. Amazing video, and convinces me even more that Blair at dusk will be quite a sight. The lights, glass and passage, combined with the movement of the bus loop. Can't wait to bring the camera inside and out haha

• Like 1

Justin on Twitter shared with us the following info:

The link does not seem to work but you can find it here: https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=388726

Also attached for archival purposes report-1.PDF. Go to Page 8 where you will find the following :

Minor Changes Before Line 1 Opening

The following minor service changes will be implemented in advance of Line 1 opening. Customers will be advised of the timing and details through all normal information channels:

• The new southbound train platform at Bayview Station for O-Train Line 2 will be opened, the westbound bus stop on Scott Street will be relocated slightly further west, and the station entrance location will be revised;
  • The pedestrian route through Blair Station between Telesat Court and the Gloucester Centre will be reopened;
  • Bus stop locations on the platforms at Tunney’s Pasture and Hurdman Stations will be changed and,
  • Routes 11 and 19 will be revised to operate on Queen Street at Parliament Station.

It will be interesting to see how they configure the station to only allow access temporarily to the Line 2 platform. To me, it would potentially be accessed from the pedestrian multi-use pathway under the station, rather than from Albert street overpass.

In addition to plenty of other great stuff.

Thank you Justin!

Also in the document is the following info on the O-Train Line 2 Trillium closure and partial closure this summer:

O-Train Line 2 Closure 

As the Transportation Committee was advised at its meeting of March 7, 2018, O-Train Line 2, the Trillium Line, will be closed for a period late this summer to allow the provincial Ministry of Transportation (MTO) to carry out preparatory work in order for them to replace the current overpass of Highway 417 over Line 2 over the next two years. OC Transpo will also be carrying out important annual track maintenance and completing the PTIF-funded upgrade of the signal system on Line 2 during the first week of this closure.

O-Train Line 2 will be fully closed and replaced by R2 bus service starting on Monday, July 15, and continuing for one week until Sunday, July 21(inclusive). Most of Line 2 will open at that time, but starting on Monday, July 22, and continuing until Sunday, August 18, trains on Line 2 will run only between Carling Station and Greenboro Station, with R2 replacement buses running between Bayview Station and Carling Station. At Bayview Station, connections between O-Train Line 1 and the R2 replacement bus service for Line 2 will be made at the westbound bus stop on the north side of Scott Street, adjacent to the east entrance to the station. Full service will return on Monday, August 19.

This necessary closure has been scheduled during the late summer when ridership is lowest and to avoid conflict with Canada Day and Bluesfest and with the Carleton University school year. Information will be provided for customers through all channels, and customer support staff will be posted at all locations to assist.

• Like 2

Probably a few of you noticed the big black posters at each stations entrance. Never noticed, but is there similar ones at Transitway / Trilium line entrances? While they look fine when "a bit hidden", they are really "in your face" at a lot of the underground stations...

• Sad 1