Shane

O-Train - Daily Observations and Spottings

Saw them yesterday. Not totally impressed by them when that information is seemingly not found elsewhere (or atleast not easily).

I’m not thrilled to see the line below that says:

No person shall operate any camera, video recording device, movie camera or other similar device on transit property.

Penalties range from $125 to $5000.

Obviously from my position running this site, I have a bit of an issue with that as the intention is to have some photos of the interiors to showcase the stations, the architecture and art.

DB165BA7-2625-4418-95DF-18460A0BB7AA.thumb.jpeg.f89f541ac0812f57cdfc6aaa7d7d2ac8.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Shane said:

No person shall operate any camera, video recording device, movie camera or other similar device on transit property.

If I'm not mistaken this has been a regulation for a long time now. I can't think of a single instance where this has been enforced though.

• Like 1

Generally those are put in place as a "guidance" so that professional film crews or stuff like that cannot use it as "free production stages". Hopefully it is more of a "prevent abuse" more than actual enforcement thing, but given how many OC Transpo constables I've seen since I moved here, not too worried.

I guess I just find it a bit more of an overall/all encompassing statement, in comparison to the STM who allow student/amateurs access without authorization or approval, provided they do not impact service or get in the way.

http://www.stm.info/en/info/rules/activities-taking-photos-and-shooting-videos

Naturally I doubt they could completely enforce it as there will be plenty of people daily taking photos all over. Taking photos of transit personnel or staff obviously should be avoided.

I moved these posts on the Transit Policy signage to the Daily Observations topic as they fall more under its area of discussion than the construction topic.

• Like 1

Couldn't take any picture as it was too dark and didn't want to annoy those who worked, but OCS work was occurring between Lees and uOttawa, right in front of the TPMS. Likely related to the problems mentioned during the FEDCO. Testing stopped relatively early today, as I was out there around 11PM and they were already off the tracks!

The new signals near Greenboro have been brought online.

Two trains were out testing them this afternoon between Brookfield and Greenboro. One train was slowly crawling towards Greenboro under Walkley and the new north-facing signal was showing Green over Red. Looking good!

I've been watching the end station turnarounds at Tunney's the past few months, this seems like the best place to share what I've seen.

Turnarounds typically take 2-3 minutes, with trains alternating which platform they go to. Off-peak this usually results in there only being 1 train at the station at a time. At peak times, I've been seeing 1 train will pull in just prior to the other one departing. If you see 2 trains at the station, don't bother going to the one about to leave, you likely won't make it.

During testing, the message boards showed train departure times to the 0.5 minute, but now they seem to only go to full minute increments. I'm not sure why this changed, but if I was to guess it could be due to potential delays from arriving trains crossing over to the opposite platform. This was an issue I saw in testing, but haven't noticed it since substantial completion. 

7 hours ago, Spenc said:

During testing, the message boards showed train departure times to the 0.5 minute, but now they seem to only go to full minute increments. 

They also changed the font with the same software update. I don't know why for either case.

For reference, seems they also removed the date at the bottom. I assume the new character set now supports apostrophes, and minutes is now display in lowercase.

I’d say the spacing is also changed, but hard to tell.

Before the update:

D3C703D9-E539-478B-A262-6CE676BAAC1A.thumb.jpeg.1e1e1825655930ff68b410e5a1360583.jpeg

After the update:

F9B540C8-EA92-44EA-80E5-7273F375ABB0.thumb.jpeg.7e5961d2875dc8cd63fc798011a0afce.jpeg

I think the changes are good for the most part. Minutes in lowercase makes it easier to read, apostrophes avoids confusion.  Removing the date removes clutter. Typically when we're at a transit station, especially if your trip requires a transfer, time is important but the date is irrelevant. Having the departure times at .5 minutes could be a good feature, but having it at every minute makes the display less cluttered. The difference between a minute and 30 seconds isn't that much anyway. 

I wonder how if these displays will be adequate after Stage 2 west opens. With two destinations (Algonquin and Moodie) I feel you would want to display at least three departure times and the time of day (so four lines).

2 hours ago, J.OT13 said:

I wonder how if these displays will be adequate after Stage 2 west opens. With two destinations (Algonquin and Moodie) I feel you would want to display at least three departure times and the time of day (so four lines).

They look like the same kind of Next Train Display as used in the UK and some parts of Europe, so I would assume, like those, that they have a the ability to “rotate” between displays, so it could have two pages rotating to show everything.

The new display arrangement (layout and font) is a clear improvement. Less blocky and easier on the eyes (especially with the punctuation).

If I am not mistaken, I believe the MetroVision in Montreal's Metro display the next train and the following train only. So in that situation, our system would be on par with that. I don't think third train should be displayed. 95% (or more) of people coming into the stations won't be sticking around long enough for the third train anyways, so makes since to save space by omitting that.

I'm not sure if this was part of the testing or if there was an error somewhere, but double train 1123-1118 seemed stuck at Bayview headed eastbound this morning. I only stayed for about 10 minutes, but during that time it was just sitting at the platform with its doors closed. At the start, one westbound train did come through and continue on towards Tunney's, but much slower than usual. After that, I didn't see any movement in either direction. I hope it was a deliberate test, although if a restart-at-day-one kind of error happens, this is the week we want to get them out of our system. 

Yesterday i saw some trains crawling from Tunney's to Bayview, then continuing on Eastward at normal speed. I'd like to think they were testing the ability to get to the next station under their own power, but that's being pretty optimistic.

Hoping the testing does not need to restart many times so that we can all get on the rails.

One thing we should remember is that they are not only running a trial of regular and peak service, but also a multitude of scenarios (which may appear visually to be breakdowns or issues). We won't know anything until things are done. But in the event they don't make August 16th I'm sure we will hear something to that effect very shortly after.

One final note, we have to be careful how we assess the progress, as just a week ago there was discussions that Substantial Completion wouldn't be accepted and then a day later it was by both the city and the certifier.

Hoping for a quick and successful test phase.