Shane

O-Train - Daily Observations and Spottings

My dentist's mom's friend's manicurist said that it's possible that on Wednesday, after 3 complete fails, they decided to suspend the 12 days testing and run Sunday service for Thursday and Friday. They may or may not have restarted today. *Shrug*

Sounds like some people on an old ski related forum in French. Ma coiffeuse m’a dit....

4 hours ago, Corvulpes said:

My dentist's mom's friend's manicurist said that it's possible that on Wednesday, after 3 complete fails, they decided to suspend the 12 days testing and run Sunday service for Thursday and Friday. They may or may not have restarted today. *Shrug*

if your dentists's mom's friend's manicurist is correct then they are running out of time for the RSA date of the 16th. If my mathematical math is correct they only have room to screw up once or twice more before they will be unable to make the 16th.

Lets hope they pull this together and succeed.   

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 12:17 PM, sherlockholmium said:

I'm not sure if this was part of the testing or if there was an error somewhere, but double train 1123-1118 seemed stuck at Bayview headed eastbound this morning. I only stayed for about 10 minutes, but during that time it was just sitting at the platform with its doors closed. At the start, one westbound train did come through and continue on towards Tunney's, but much slower than usual. After that, I didn't see any movement in either direction. I hope it was a deliberate test, although if a restart-at-day-one kind of error happens, this is the week we want to get them out of our system. 

Saw a similar thing happen at Bayview last Wednesday, the train was on hold for 5min or more but then I noticed that they where just rotating drivers !! The train departed as soon as the new driver was in the front cabin.

1 hour ago, Matth69000 said:

Hey guys !!! Back with a brend new spotting, lot's of stuff in there, pretty long but hope you'll enjoy. Cheers !

Great video keep it up, even if we can't ride them yet always fun to watch.

8 hours ago, Matth69000 said:

Hey guys !!! Back with a brend new spotting, lot's of stuff in there, pretty long but hope you'll enjoy. Cheers !

Excellent video. Thanks for taking the time to film it for all to see. The announcements seem to operate properly and with good timing before the trains do arrive. The door closing chime is something I hadn't heard before.

Love seeing the double LRVs operating all along the alignment. Passenger service isn't far off now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shane said:

The door closing chime is something I hadn't heard before.

First time I hear it also. I went along the alignment tonight, from Parliament to Bayview, and didn't hear it a single time...

Testing tonight seemed to be a mixed of time-table matching and manual driving as a few trains stops short of the Pimisi east-bound platform.

Interesting fact: the tri-tone bell like this is designed for those with hearing difficulty, as their ability to ear generally doesn't decrease in all three ranges (low, mid and high pitch).

More of a question for @Corvulpes did your dentist's mom's friend's manicurist hear anything about the cab AC being fixed? Saw a bunch of drivers with the cabin door open, which I assume was temperature related.

There have not been as many temperature issues lately, but also it hasn't been quite as hot. But issues could have been fixed. The cab doors were part of the mitigation, but they're also held open when the cab door glass is broken or the lock is broken, both of which are quite common. Also maybe some are just open for convenience for the time being.

• Like 1

Two things I noticed, but can't seem to know if they are new or just something I noticed recently:

• On the front display of the trains, it shows "1", then the destination, alike a bus display. I was sure that it only showed the station name (which is more than enough given that no vehicles are interlined on different lines. Many coupled units still show "Offroute" on the second vehicle, though I am saying more and more actually showing the destination).
  • At Tunney's and Blair, the "Next Departure" screen seems to have been updated to indicate which platform it will depart from, and not only the next train. Only seems to apply to Concourse level at Tunney's.

5 hours ago, occheetos said:

One week left to build the culvert?

Kessozf.png

Assuming the culvert is built of wood, it probably can be built in a week, though your picture makes me wonder if there is any actual work occurring to install it. Do you have a link to the document where this figure comes from? Curious to look into the details a bit more.

7 minutes ago, DavidBellerive said:

Assuming the culvert is built of wood, it probably can be built in a week, though your picture makes me wonder if there is any actual work occurring to install it. Do you have a link to the document where this figure comes from? Curious to look into the details a bit more.

Here's the document

It says it will be a corrugated steel pipe culvert across the trench. I'm not a structural engineer but I would have imagined some kind of preparatory support work would be needed in order to support the weight of various equipment and the new bridge decks. At least some shrub removal. I guess if it is just a big pipe, that should be easy enough to install. Not sure why they needed 3 weeks for it though...

In the photo above you can see a tarp lying next to the tracks. I was also there a few weeks ago and the tarp was lying across the tracks. I think they were doing some kind of work at the edge of the trench, not sure what it was though.

This is roughly how long the culvert is supposed to be:

image.png.db5388118db9a0e823d1adb011a5abad.png

25 minutes ago, occheetos said:

Here's the document

It says it will be a corrugated steel pipe culvert across the trench. I'm not a structural engineer but I would have imagined some kind of preparatory support work would be needed in order to support the weight of various equipment and the new bridge decks. At least some shrub removal. I guess if it is just a big pipe, that should be easy enough to install. Not sure why they needed 3 weeks for it though...

Yeah it seems to me like their use of the three weeks was "not really efficient" given where it stands right now. If I am reading the document, it seems like the CSP can be installed relatively quickly, as it is gonna be covered with dirt afterwards. I would assume most of the weight-bearing comes from the circular shape, which puts the weight more towards the edges than the centre. Of course I am no engineer, but this would be the most likely explanation. Because the sides of the trench are already rock, I would assume they can simply make it rest on it, with dirt holding the structure left and right.

Interesting that they think the work can be done within the next week, but if all they need to be done by then is have the CSP over, it is a possible timeline.